Friday, May 1, 2009

Viva la Revolution!

It’s a fitness revolution, people! Alright, that may be a slight exaggeration, but none the less, I’ve encouraged several friends (and they’ve encouraged their friends) to join me on this 30 day jump start to a healthier existence. It’s a big motivator to know that someone will be checking in with me on a regular basis to make sure I’m living up to my commitments.

In my attempts to trim my calories and make better choices, I’ve discovered some yummy snacks that help carry me through the day. Although a few might seem a little high in calories (especially in this 100 calorie snack pack world we live in), but I think the calories can be afforded thanks to the health benefits.

· Bolthouse Farms C-Boost fruit smoothie – If you’re feeling a bit down, or you’re just terrified of getting that little piggy flu, this drink packs a whopping 2160% of your daily vitamin C, all naturally provided by the fruit in the drink. They key is a little gem called the Camu Camu fruit, which has more natural vitamin C than any other botanical on the planet. It also gives you a nice dose of Vitamins A & E, and folic acid.

o Nutrition Info – 290 calories for the whole bottle.

o Serving Tip - Freeze it! It makes a very yummy slushy.


· Bolthouse Farms Hazelnut Latte or Vanilla Chai Latte Protein Drinks – These protein drinks are so yummy and so filling! Each 8 oz serving (about 2 in each bottle) has 10g of protein, contains 18 amino acids, and is low fat with no added sugars. Both flavors are healthy, delicious (and affordable) alternatives to pricey chain coffee shops (I think you know what I’m referencing).

o Nutrition Info – 160 calories for one 8 oz serving.

o Serving Tip - They’re wonderful as is, or it’d be nice over ice with a little dap of fat free whipped cream on top!


· Flat Earth Veggie Crisps in Farmland Cheddar – These are my favorite answer to my stomach’s eternal call for something salty. With ½ a serving of veggies in each 1oz serving of chips, there’s no need for guilt, either! While they don’t replace actual veggies, they’re a good way to get a little boost in there.

o Nutrition Info – 130 calories per 1oz serving (about 12 crisps)

o Serving Tip – They are too tasty to eat straight from the bag. Before you know it, you’ll have eaten way more than 1 serving! Count out twelve crisps, then close the bag for your own safety, and enjoy!


· Welch’s Fruit Snacks in Island Fruit – Another way to sneak a little vitamin C, and even a full serving of fruit, into your snacking regime! These are a step above your standard cherry, grape, orange, blah blah fruit snacks. With flavors like Pineapple, Kiwi, and Mango, they are fantastic mid-meal pick me up. They’re fat free and provide 100% of your daily Vitamin C, and 25% of A & E.

o Nutrition Info – 80 Calories per snack bag. Also, as mentioned above, the American Diabetic Association counts these as 1 full serving of fruit!

o Serving Tip – It’s more of a purchase tip than a serving tip. Wal-mart sells huge boxes of these individual packets for around $5. Not too shabby!

Alright, loves, enjoy your Friday! And I shall return next week to tell tales of my weekend in wonderful Canton, TX.

K. Smith

2 comments:

  1. howdy. i'm not a particularly healthy person, but i sometimes like to eat healthy stuff, and i've found that these bars (Amazon Link) are really awesome. The "Cashew Cookie" ones are the only kind I ever buy, and they're made with only two ingredients: cashews and dates. My mom and roommate like some of the other flavors though. Anyhow, they're in the healthy food category and I love the crap out of them, so I thought I'd recommend them to you.

    Oh, btw, we went to high school together (in case you're like who the heck is this guy), and that's why I'm leaving comments on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man, I'll certainly check them out. And, btw, of course I remember who you are. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete